International ICT Seagulls Project is going to start its 18th year under the difficult conditions of Covid-19 virus. Even though the second term of the previous year was chaotic, four teams could complete their projects successfully. We realized once more that the methodology of this project is one of the best for distance education. The following section will give the needed information concerning the projects of the year 2021. I wish a very fruitful and successful project season with intensive participation and great collaboration. We are very happy for being supported by three important organizations (CMS, Lucknow, India, WCTQEE & Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies) along with the non-profit, non-governmental organization: Association for Innovative Collaboration (AIC/YİMEDER).
This project is very different from the accustomed project designs. Why?
*Its origin is Turkey & It is an online project.
*It is a very innovative project. It does not show any similarities with any project on earth.
*It works within teams (SQCs). World Bank awarded its methodology in 2005 at the “Competition for the Turkey’s Creative Development Ideas”.
*It continuously improves. It is modified within time based upon the necessities and requirements of the year/age.
*It is a guided project. The coordinator of the project always follows your steps through the e-mails and guided templates and motivates you when is needed. She help you draw your roadmap.
*Computer using and the Internet are essential for the project, but other innovative means might replace them. It is up to your imagination. We use computers for communication, data collection and data analyses and for sharing.
*Its goal is learning, involving & sharing the acquired 21st Century skills through that project such as; creativity, innovation, critical thinking, collaboration, communication, time and conflict management, effective technology use and ethics.
* There is no need for negative rivalry. When the project is completed and delivered as a PPT or a web address, team members get the Achievement Certificate.
Microsoft Turkey supported this project for the first 5 years until the seagulls learned how to fly higher. International teams have been registering since 2006.
Undergraduate students have taken part in for 8 years and graduate students for 2 years.
In order to learn more, please visit our web page: www.bilisimcimartilar.com/English
PROJECT GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:
We aim at training innovative, contemporary and qualified generations who are;
- good at using the Internet, social media and ICT technology efficiently and effectively,
- aware of the importance of collaboration (=İmece) and team spirit,
- skilful in determining and solving their own problems and also the problems of the community,
- knowledgeable about research rules and ethics,
- visionary, brave and hardworking enough to implement the strategies developed for the problem areas,
- sensitive enough to the problems of own community, environment, cultural diversity and self-improvement,
- Well-trained and creative in sharing their project steps on an innovative PowerPoint presentation, web page and/or Blog.
Through this Project;
- Awareness will be created upon the K-12 level student-teacher circles (teams)/university circles, community circles including NGOs and local authorities related to;
- Human dignity, cultural sensitivity and tolerance,
- Cultural sensitivity and tolerance,
- Sustainability in various areas,
- Gaining a historical perspective about the studies issues,
- Team spirit through “World Bank 2005 Turkey’s Creative Development Ideas” AWARDED “İmece Circles” methodology,
- Quality focused issues and tools,
- Technological & Environmental literacy,
- Creativity: Original and authentic design info,
- Time, meeting, conflict, stress and portfolio management,
- Ethics, especially respecting the copyrights of others,
- Communication skills & Problem-solving skills,
- The necessity of feeding “Mind-Body and Spirit” in a positive way.
- Young generations will be motivated to be more creative, productive and investigative whatever they study.
- All generations_young and old_ will be able to come to the same platform to solve the common problems.
- Participants will develop a positive attitude towards the importance of sharing the results of their projects at a very extraordinary style_ using their imagination to fly towards the beyond of limits just like; “The Seagull Jonathan Livingstone”; not only at national but also at international platforms.
This year, we proposed SEVEN main themes in order to enlarge the project areas to give more freedom to the student teams. They are as follows:
1. PROBLEMS APPEARED WITH COVID-19 VIRUS (HEALTH PERSONNEL, RESPECT TO THE HUMAN BEINGS, TREATMENT OF CORONA VIRUS & HYGIENE)
2. WHAT KIND OF EDUCATION (DISTANCE, HYBRID, FACE TO FACE)
3. ENVIRONMENT, AGRICULTURE AND ENDEMIC SPECIES
4. SENSE OF MODERN CITIZENSHIP-FREEDOM AND LIMITS
5. WOMEN RIGHTS AND VIOLENCE TO WOMEN
6. CHANGES AT CAREER DEVELOPMENT
7. INNOVATION AND SUSTAINABILITY
OUR SLOGAN: The Young and the Experienced: Hand-in-hand for peace, quality and dignity!
Project teams that we call “İmece circles” will prepare their projects based upon the PDCA Mindset (Plan-Do-Check-Act) by means of using quality tools. They will use the Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) at a maximum rate. If there is limited Internet access, they can use your cellular phones. It was proved after a 17-year experience that the project adds a lot knowledge and skills to participants. They gain and improve the philosophy of lifelong learning and team spirit. It is worth of noting that, those outcomes are noticed highly not only in the national level but also at the international platforms. We are proud of having students’ Imece circles (SQCs) from India, Nepal, United States of America, United Kingdom, Cyprus, South Africa and Sri Lanka in addition to Turkish schools.
The Project is open to all age groups starting from preschool education to graduate level of universities. The circles work on their problem topics for 6 months focusing on Multiple Intelligences approach of Gardner. They are free at using various arts like producing songs, drawings, caricatures, skits, documentary films, photographs, etc. Then, they share all the steps and the products through four media. They are:
- Web page design,
- Web+Blog design,
- PPT presentation.
TARGET GROUP: In the year2021, national and/or international circles will work in the following age and school groups:
1. K-12 graders (ICT Seagulls)
2. University students and lecturers (Graduate and Undergraduate) (Leading Seagulls)
3. Disabled and/or gifted adults and/or students (Challenged Seagulls)
4. Local authorities, NGOs, companies and families (Community Seagulls).
In order to participate in the Project, sending the “Registration Form” to Hayal Köksal through an e-mail is the only prerequisite. In order to take part in the project, technology must not form an obstacle for the team. The internet connection and PCs (Or Cellular Phones) should be accessible for the circle members. Each project member is advised to have an e-mail account. It is also recommended to include the parents of the students and the community members around the project school to the project cycle as team members.
As is known, the team, which completes the Project after following the rules, is regarded as a “WINNER”. The school administration of the winning circle and all the team members get e-Certificates. This project does not have a financial award. The biggest award is the internalization of; Team spirit, Critical thinking skills, Continuous Improvement Philosophy (Kaizen), Communication skills, Leadership skills and gaining reputation at national and international platforms.
At the School Administration level (Only for K-12 Student Teams):
- Volunteer Team registers to the Project by sending the Registration Form to the General Coordinator of the Project who is namely; Assoc.Prof.Dr. Hayal Köksal through Phone and/or fax (+90 212 341 26 02) or e-mail ([email protected]) to participate in the Project. The Form will be provided by Prof Köksal upon request.
- After the approval of the registration, a virtual training seminar will be either given by Dr. Köksal or sent as PowerPoints training. All the team members and the leading teachers start their project journey after getting the detailed information about the steps.
- It is a guided project at many steps. Please do not feel alone.
At the Team Level:
Projects must follow the PDCA Mindset (Plan, Do, Check, Act) steps as follows:
- Identification of the project topic (problem area) with the participation of students.
- Conducting a detailed research (Literature review) related to the problem area.
- Drawing of the “Road Map” of the project by using quality tools, such as; brainstorming, fishbone diagram, matrix, etc.
- Determination of the strategies and tactics after the main and root causes of the problem.
- Implementation of the strategies to bring solution to the problem.
- Collecting and analysing the data related to the problem.
- Measuring the success rate of the change and sharing all the outcomes through various ways (web page, Blog or PPT).
- After drawing the Road map of the project, it must be approved by the general coordinator of the Project who is Dr. Köksal.
- Assessment steps will be shared in time.
2021 ICT Seagulls Projects will be assessed in two phases after getting the approval from the General coordinator who is Dr. Hayal Köksal. Assessment Approval will be given based upon following the rules and timing.
1. PEER ASSESSMENT: All the circles from all participating countries will assess the other projects (excluding theirs).
2. JURY ASSESSMENT: The jury members will assess all the projects based on five criteria. Each year, the assessment criteria show differences depending on the age groups.
This project is supported by the Association for Innovative Collaboration (YİMEDER), World Council for Total Quality and Excellence in Education, “CMS-Lucknow/ India”, the “Human Dignity and Humiliation Studies” and South Africa NYDT .
It starts in October and ends in June.
The deadline for Registration is 31st January 2021.